The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Park Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01271 372166
- Reservations are open between 7am-10pm every day.
- We have a comprehensive website - https://parkhotel.co.uk/
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to email@example.com
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Barnstaple that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a shop mobility scheme operating in Barnstaple (approx. 0.5 miles from the Hotel).
At a Glance
- The main Hotel is a building of two floors.
- Bedrooms are located on the ground and first floors.
- Two of the ground floor bedrooms are accessible and have step-free access.
- All bedrooms located on the first floor have step-free access via the lift.
- Further guest bedrooms are located in a separate building called Garden Court. All bedrooms in Garden Court are accessed via steps or stairs.
- The remainder of the ground floor provides the Reception, lounge, bar & dining areas.
- The Park Suite is the main function room and is located on the first floor with five steps after the lift.
- There is a smaller function/conference room, the Taw Suite, on the ground floor.
- The Restaurant can also be booked for private functions at the discretion of Hotel Management.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- The hotel does not allow pets unless they are assistance dogs. Assistance dogs must be registered.
- There is free wifi available throughout the hotel.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
Getting around inside the hotel
- The flooring is tiled.
- The height of the reception desk is 1160mm. The adjacent Manager's desk is 790mm.
- There is seating available with a selection of sofas, armchairs and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting which is dimmable if required.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The restaurant, bar and lounge are on the entrance level. Access is step-free.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates.
- The minimum width of doorways is 66cm, with most measuring 72cm or more.
- The main Hotel has a lift which measures 1390x1080mm and is equipped with rails on two walls.
- The Brasserie floor is a mix of carpet and wood. The Lounge floor is a mix of carpet and tiles.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of buffet and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- Lounge tables are a mixture of wooden and glass with metal frames.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
- There are 23 steps to the first floor function room. Each step is 17.3cm high and 280cm deep. There are hand rails of both sides.
- There are a further 5 steps to the first floor bedrooms, each step measuring 15.3cm high and 26.7cm deep. There are hand rails on both sides.
- Two of the bedrooms on the ground floor have step free access. The remaining bedrooms on first floor are accessed via 4 steps which have a height of 158mm and a depth of 356mm. There are handrails on both sides.
- Garden court rooms are located in a separate building, approximately 60 meters from the Main Hotel across the car park.
- There is a step up to the main entrance with a height of 12cm. The entrance is 79cm.
- The minimum width of doorways is 71cm.
- All bedrooms are accessed from the main entrance via steps.
- Ground floor rooms have between one and five steps from the main entrance, dependant on the room allocation. The minimum height of these steps is 13.8cm and the maximum height is 18cm. The minimum depth of these steps is 34.5cm and the maximum depth is 38cm.
- First-floor rooms are have between 20 and 26 steps from the main entrance, dependant on the room allocation. The minimum height of these steps is 13.8cm and the maximum height is 21cm. The minimum depth of these steps is 23.3cm and the maximum depth is 38cm.
- Handrails are located on all staircases of more than one step, on either the left or right hand side.
- Where necessary, Management can arrange step-free access to two bedrooms in Garden Court using an alternative entrance. This entrance is up a slight slope from the car park and the threshold is approximately 3cm.
- The majority of bedrooms in the Main Hotel are located at first floor level accessed by stairs or have step free access via the lift. Remaining guest bedrooms in the Main Hotel are located at ground floor level and include two accessible rooms.
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at the Reception
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All bedrooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All bedrooms are 'non-smoking'.
- 24 Hour room service is available.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size bedrooms.
- Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and king-size beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some bedrooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All bedrooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms have a full-length mirror and also a dressing table mirror.
- All bedrooms have wardrobes of various sizes. This can be discussed with you when booking.
Bathrooms and Shower Rooms:
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This area is 1.9 metres x 1.35metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards and the width of the doorway is 915mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Two supporting grab rails are provided either side of the toilet. There are also grab rails next to the sink and on the inside of the door.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to the restaurant and bar.
- Accessible shower room facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
- Baby changing facilities are located on the ground floor in the disabled toilet.
- The Hotel has two bedrooms designed to be more suitable for individuals with reduced mobility.
- The doorways are a minimum of 85.5cm. The thresholds between the bedroom to the bathroom and Hotel are 7mm.
- There is a reserved designated disabled parking space directly outside each accessible bedroom. Adjacent to the parking spaces there are alternative direct to open air entrances to each room, which have a sloping threshold up to the doorway of approximately 4cm.
- One room is a double the other can be made up as either a king or twin. The minimum width for free passage in the bedrooms is 82cm. One side of the bed has 122cm of space beside it for free movement.
- The bathrooms measure 186 x 212 cm.
- There are emergency assistance alarms installed next to the toilet and shower.
- The bathrooms are wetroom style with a central drain and tiled floors & walls.
- A mixture of wall mounted and fold down grab rails are installed in the bathrooms besides the toilet, sink and shower. There is a fold down seat in the shower.
On booking, please inform our reception team of any equipment required for your booking and we will do our utmost to arrange this or hire on your behalf.
- Bath seat
- High Chair
- Some bedrooms have minibars, suitable for the storage of medication and the hotel will endeavour to allocate these on requests of this facility.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder.
- The two accessible guest rooms have a flashing light in the bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearings.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A personal emergency evacuation plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests. Please advise our team if you may require assistance to safely evacuate without the use of the lift.
This website (parkhotel.co.uk/) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.